Friday, December 11, 2009

Tolerance Update

Last month, I quoted Assistant Village Idiot on the routinely-overlooked intolerance of the secular left. AVI, alas, is blogging no more, but I hope he read the advice a lawyer sought from "ethicist" Randy Cohen in Sunday's New York Times:
While interviewing law students for jobs as paid summer interns and full-time associates for my firm, I noticed several had résumés listing their activities in the Federalist Society. Some of my partners have conservative views similar to those of the society, but I do not. These students’ politics would not affect their professional function, but my review is meant to consider their judgment and personality (though I don’t need to give reasons for the assessments given). May I recommend not hiring someone solely because of his or her politics? NAME WITHHELD, GREENWICH, CONN.
Though Cohen advised "abandon[ing] your mini-McCarthyism and cease denying employment to those you deem politically misguided," the lawyer nonetheless "recommended rejecting each member of the Federalist Society."

Don't even feign surprise.

(via TaxProf Blog)

No comments: