Friday, March 06, 2009

Calif. Justices Appear Likely to Uphold Ban on Gay Marriage

by Bob in Los Angeles

More good news from yesterday: Calif. Justices Appear Likely to Uphold Ban on Gay Marriage, (As predicted by Carl.) I suppose. I'm not interested in gay marriage as an issue. I really don't care. I am more of the opinion that it should be illegal for stupid people to wed. How many of you believe that divorce lawyers are surreptitiously behind the push to legalize gay marriage? If gays and lesbians want to enter into the holy bond of matrimony and the unholy hell of divorce, I don't care.

I voted for Prop 8 because I didn't like the California Supremes reversing the will of the people. I had an interesting time at the polls last November. More on that later, as I take some pleasure recalling this piece by Robert Kirby:

As a flaming heterosexual, it's a full-time job for me just to keep my thoughts clean in church. I don't have the energy to fret about somebody else's libido.

The only serious concern I have about gays getting married is that they'll register someplace pricey.

Shouldn't it be against the law for stupid people to get married? What's more harmful to society - two well-dressed men getting married and settling down, or two idiots tying the knot and cranking out any number of additional idiots?

And finally, this gem:

But if you're really serious about putting a stop to gay sex, let them get
married.

The guy is a riot.

============

At the polls last November, a No on Prop 8 electioneer spoke to me. She was kind of hot so I listened. When she finished I told her that despite the ferocity of her argument (and her hotness), I was still going to vote Yes on 8. She said in a quite snotty and loud tone:

"It's WRONG to take away people's rights!"

Wow! I could not believe it -- she was lecturing me on right and wrong!

"Wrong to take away people's rights?" I asked. She said yes... so the debate was on.

I told her that "giving rights to one special protected group means taking them away from someone. You cannot create rights out of thin air. When you give a class of people a 'special right,' that takes away from the rights of someone else, or sometimes everyone else.

"So if it is wrong to take away people's rights, well then, how about the rights of slave-owners to own slaves? Is it also wrong to take away their right to own slaves? Of course not." QED. (She was not as hot when she was losing). As people started to go by to the polls, I realized that not only was I winning this debate easily, I was keeping her from talking to a half-dozen people or more. She was learning the hard way the first principle of electioneering/poll working: do not irritate the voters.

I finished up by telling her that "I don't really care about gay marriage. The CA Supreme Court legislating from the bench is a real danger to society." Well, that, and stupid people like her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!

Bob Cosmos said...

Thanks -- I appreciate that!