Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Campaign--Day Zero

[Series explained here]

I visited the Republican National Committee today. Nothing much yet. The Republicans are disorganized and depressed.

In particular, they haven't yet identified which state I'll be in. RNC's divided the lawyer volunteers into two groups: a "72 hour" team that arrives on Friday night, and anyone else willing to donate more time. They originally wanted me for the latter group in Florida. But the word is Florida is overrun with lawyers. . . Plus ca change; plus c'est la meme chose.

The RNC counsel's office asked: "How would ya feel about West Virginia?" I replied: "I'll trade for Ohio with a player to be named later."

The younger people (paid and volunteers) are enthusiastic. But senior RNC staff seems gloomy about Dem voter registrations--word is that millions more have registered this year and Dem GOTV efforts will dwarf anything Republicans can muster. Talk is that the new voters are undercounted in polls of likely voters--so that Kerry might be ahead as much as five points. Gak. Is my optimism misplaced?

Interestingly, the RNC staff still was nervous about my live blogging. Their apparent concern was campaign finance laws. I had to assure them that blogging didn't cost me anything, and thus they didn't have to track my costs as a contribution. (Cash is easily accounted; not so goods or non-personal services.) The fact that I use free Blogger seemed to satisfy. I decided not to mention my monthly cable modem charges or dial-up back-up. . .

Note: I've tentatively decided not to "name names" inside the RNC or campaign. At least until November 2nd.

Update 6:30pm:

Apparently I won't be flying to Colorado--Kerry's canceled his last-minute ad blitz there. Kerry's quitting implies the state referendum to replace winner-take-all with proportionate counting--which would reward Kerry with 4-5 additional electoral votes--must be doomed. Nine more votes for Bush.

[Series continues here.]

No comments: