1) James R. Clapper Jr., a retired Air Force Lt. General, became Obama's Director of National Intelligence in mid 2010.
2) On February 10, 2011, Clapper testified before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
3) Clapper's written statement was unobjectionable. However, responding to concerns about Egypt from Representative Sue Myrick (R-N.C.), Clapper explained (video at link):
The term 'Muslim Brotherhood'. . .is an umbrella term for a variety of movements, in the case of Egypt, a very heterogeneous group, largely secular, which has eschewed violence and has decried Al Qaeda as a perversion of Islam.4) According to Lorenzo Vidino writing in XII Middle East Quarterly, 25-34, at 25 & n.1 (Winter 2005), the motto of the Muslim Brotherhood is:
Allah is our objective. The Prophet is our leader. The Qur'an is our law. Jihad is our way. Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope.5) A Council on Foreign Relations "Backgrounder" issued seven days before the hearing tagged the Brotherhood with "a history of violence."
6) The day after the hearing, Clapper's office tried to back away from his "secular" designation, which the New York Post's Peter Brookes headlined "Clapper's crass Bro'hood bungle."
7) Remind me again what Democrats were saying about failures in Bush's intelligence community?