living the life of Riley. Then reality set in. Now he is living the life of Jimmy Carter. How did he wind up here?So Surber lists the "Top 10 things Obama got wrong." I don't agree with all of them, but here's numbers 2-5, plus 8:
2. He got Obamacare wrong. Along those lines, President Obama saw how Hillarycare went and decided to do the opposite. Or likely more accurately, the president heard that Hillary lost on health care because it was written in the White House. He decided he would do it differently and have it written by Congress. This was a formula for failure because he lost control of the bill. This meant he was putting his name and reputation on the line for something he never wrote. And what was written was a mess.Read the whole thing.
3. He got the economy wrong. He overestimated its strength and went full-speed ahead with spending. Budgets for agencies were doubled as liberals wanted to have a field day regulating everything. But tax revenues tanked. That $400 billion deficit he campaigned against tripled. Guess what? The public noticed. So did S&P. He is now President Downgrade.
4. He got the stimulus wrong. The $787 billion stimulus was a grab bag of political kickbacks papered over with an unnecessary, ineffective and ill-advised tax cut. The unemployment rate would have gone to 9% if we do nothing, he said. We did something and it hit 10%. Again, people noticed.
5. He got the Tea Party wrong. This is where a sycophantic press corps really hurts a president. By blowing off the Tea Party as a pack of angry klansmen who cannot handle having a black president, President Obama lost the House of Representatives in 2010. . .
8. He got Simpson-Bowles wrong. Blowing off the entire package of recommendations to rein in spending and balance the budget took away any protection from the charge that he has no plan to balance the budget other than to raise taxes. He did not have to adopt the whole thing, just enough to announce that he has a serious plan to balance the budget beginning in 2017 -- when a second term of Obama would end.