Thursday, September 11, 2008

Exactly

American Airlines Flight 77, piloted by Chuck Burlingame, was crashed into the Pentagon at 9:37am, exactly seven years ago. Last time I had a meeting there, I visited the memorial inside the Pentagon. It's a shame that the location makes it difficult to get to, because understatement is its strength. (I understand there's a more public landmark outside the building.) I came away with "rubbings" of the engraved names of my friends.

I wish I'd thought to bring that paper with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The aircraft crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 08:46 local time; the impact killed all 92 people aboard, including the hijackers. Many people in the streets witnessed the collision, and Jules Naudet captured the impact on video. News agencies began to report on the incident soon after and speculated that the crash had been an accident. The impact and subsequent fire caused the North Tower to collapse, which resulted in thousands of additional casualties. During the recovery effort at the World Trade Center site, workers recovered and identified dozens of remains from Flight 11 victims, but many other body fragments could not be identified thats what hurts me the most.