Wednesday, March 23, 2005

What's In a Name?

This blog is a refocused successor in interest; a second--and far more enjoyable--try. And I've always been self-satisfied, smug even, about my blog-name, chosen as the pithiest summary of my philosophy, and it probably communicates my views as effectively as any week of postings. And still more pleased after winning accolades from RightPundit, 4 Right-Wing Wackos and others, reproduced at the top of my sidebar.

I suspect at least some of my blog's pagecount and readership is a product of the name. And if my European readership grows, it suggests my blogname quip works auf Deutsch as well, according to German Ulrich Speck at Kosmoblog. Though formerly somewhat fluent, my German's pretty rusty; here's a rough translation:
When it comes to slogans, anti-anti-scene [the European equivalent of anti-anti-Communist] Weblogs excel. For example, No Blood for Sauerkraut is Dada-esque. However, even more striking is: No Oil for Pacifists.
Danke, Ulrich. Wenn Sie Herrn Fischer und Herrn Schroeder entgegensetzen, gutes Glück. Besonders für Deutsche die zwischen dem Ablehnen des SDP und Rechtsextremismus unterscheiden.

1 comment:

@nooil4pacifists said...

Thanks, Ulrich, but composing two simple notes in German took me 90 minutes with my dictionary.

I agree with you about the transformation of the political right. Sometime in the 70s, Republicans became the smart and funny party. Sometime in the 80s, Republicans became the heir of 19th century Liberalism. I can't speak for the CDU, but in America, the right and left have -- in many ways -- swapped platforms. My proof: compare JFK's Inaugural address with Bush's second Inaugural address.