Monday, November 01, 2004

Monday with Zell

[previous post in series here]

Senator Zell Miller, Democrat of Georgia, stopped by the Ft. Myers Republican HQ to rally the troops. His opening lines--
I took a lot of heat for my convention speech. The media said I "looked mad." How very perceptive.
Zell praised President Bush; derided Senator Kerry. Here's other choice Zell quotes:
  • I belonged and worked for the Democratic party for 50 years--until it was hijacked by the far left.


  • Having been both Governor of Georgia when George Bush was Governor of Texas, and having served in the Senate with John Kerry for 4 1/2 years, I know both of these men. And knowing both of these men, I know they're as different as night and day. President Bush is steadfast. For 30 years. John Kerry has played politics with our security.


  • I'll say this as kindly as I can. John Kerry wanted weapons systems cancelled -- all the weapons that won the Cold War, and are winning the war on terrorism today.


  • The worst thing about Kerry--after he voted to send troops into harm's war, he voted against them. This was the most irresponsible, dangerous and disgraceful vote I've seen in politics.


  • Kerry hasn't changed. The first thing he did after the recent tape from Osama bin Laden--he took a poll to figure out how to react!
Senator Miller ended with a tale he said he first told his Senate colleagues when debating the resolution authorizing invading Iraq. Seems Zell was back home, clearing out some old, disused steps on his property. While breaking up the concrete, he found a nest of copperheads--poisonous snakes:
I didn't take a poll, didn't check with my advisors, I didn't hesitate. I killed those snakes with a unilateral, preemptive strike. One thing for sure--I did not put them to any global test. They were a threat to my family--so I cut their heads off.
Damn I'll miss Zell in the Senate!

[Series continues here]

No comments: