Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Der Tag--Part 2

[Previous post in series here]

I closed the polls at precinct 19, at 7:00pm. Then I drove to the election supervisor's office, crying.

Not because I'm worried about the outcome. Just because it was over.

But it wasn't. I spent several hours working at the supervisors office, reviewing returns, strategizing, having very off-the-record discussions with some media. I'm returning at 9:00am, when they open the absentee ballots.

Basic view: We won Lee county for Bush, for Mel Martinez and for Connie Mack. And we won Florida for Bush and Connie. Martinez is leading, but not by enough to overcome the expected last-minute surge Miami-Dade and Broward.

And I'm back at my hotel, blogging; not at the victory party. Daft, right?

[Series continues here]

No comments: