Thursday, October 28, 2004

Mornings with George

[previous post in series here]

At my new office, Bush-Cheney H.Q. in the back of one of Florida's anonymous strip malls. Volunteers exhibit the typical campaign bi-modal distribution of people with time to spare: the young (20-somethings) and the older (60-somethings). This being Florida, I expected more of the latter group than the former, but the Ft. Myers staff trends young. I chose to interpret this as favorable omen for the youth vote.

I'm blogging from a borrowed Dell Latitude 600 notebook. This might have been a mistake--the thing's huge and heavy. It's ok if I'm stationary, but a pain to carry. None of the phone jacks work here, but Bush-Cheney HQ has an excellent high-speed wireless LAN. Who knew?

Eagerly awaiting a task other than introducing myself.

More:

Maybe I complained too soon about introductions--I just was introduced to Ed Gillespie, chairman of the Republican National Committee, who is visiting the Ft. Myers office.

Anyway, after reading the Florida election code, I'm off to the Ft. Myers "early voting" site. The state division of elections recently issued an opinion letter requiring early voting to be "generally observable by any person who is present at an early voting site" who "may challenge any voter who they believe to be ineligible." Letter from Dawn Roberts, Division Director, to Donna Bryant, Supervisor of Elections, Osceola County, DE 04-07, at 4 (Aug. 11, 2004). The campaign has a volunteer present.

My question: is the volunteer stationed close enough to the actual poll site to be able to observe and challenge ineligible voters?

[Series continues here]

No comments: