Thursday, October 28, 2004

Campaign Night Two

[previous post in series here.]

Spent the late afternoon at the early polling facility in Bonita Springs. All appeared well--the election officials were smooth and professional; the Republican observer was afforded a clear perch (supposedly the Dem as well, though he was gone by the time I arrived). After the poll closed, I drove back to Ft. Myers Bush HQ. I was pumped and energetic.

Then I volunteered for the phone bank.

Fifty calls and one hundred minutes later, I bolted for dinner. I nearly crashed the car from nodding off. Ok, I guess I'm a wimp. Silly me, always careful not to drink java after 3:00 pm so I can sleep. The only reason I'm still awake is a 10:00 pm conference call--and I forced myself to draft this post in the hopes of avoiding a badly needed 8 hour nap. (How am I doing? as Ed Koch, Democrat turned Bush supporter, would say.)

Tomorrow, I'm plugging into a the bottomless coffee i.v. I'm pretty sure they sell the kit--complete with needle--in one of those strip malls.

About those malls. Those who've visited South West Florida know the pre-interstate Route 41--also known as the Tamiami Trail. It's about 500 miles (800 deciliters for you Frenchified Kerry fans) of 4-lane asphalt lined by endless "U" shaped strip malls, each with a sign containing the name, not I emphasize, the address, of the mall. And locals rely on those names when giving directions. Kerry-land directions use local landmarks only a local would know ("turn left at the corner where Marshall's big red barn was before it burnt to the ground, forcing Marshall onto welfare.") Here in Bush country, the guide posts are malls with names like "Excelsior" and "Palm Dragon." But because an army (either space aliens or juvenile delinquents) already took out about half the signage, drivers must be alert for short forms like "E ls" or "alm rag." Possibly, there's an "ig ed ar" somewhere, occupied solely by displaced New England liberals who've retired to the Suncoast.

Tomorrow, I'll be investigating a rumor of fraudulent voting at an early polling station. Democrat fraud. More Friday--if I can unearth it.

[Series continues here]

No comments: