Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Terrorists in the real world

Great article yesterday in TechCentralStation--great blog; bad title--by Dr. Helen Smith, a forensic psychologist. She provides practical advice for dealing with terrorists. Money quote:
I used to believe (as many of my colleagues still do) that empathizing with my patients and increasing their self-esteem would help them on the path to self-actualization. Of course, for some anxiety-ridden patients who need faith in themselves, the technique of empathy and support works. However, for those patients with serious violent tendencies, just the opposite is true. With those patients, I've found that setting clear boundaries and making judgments about their immoral behavior works like a charm.

Those patients who threatened me backed down only when I got up in their face and told them forcefully to stop -- the slightest hint of fear or intimidation (or sympathy!) on my part was met with increased threats. In the real world of private practice, confronting real murderers, I learned to act in ways that were different from what I had been taught in graduate school. Unfortunately, there are still those in the ivory tower who have not learned this valuable lesson.
Not to mention the press, the Democratic party, Europe, etc. Appeasement doesn't work; power does.

P.S.--Dr. Smith moonlights as InstaWife.

No comments: