Thursday, March 31, 2005

Crack-Up? I Think Not

Worried that disapproval of the Administration's position on Terri Schiavo and complaints from libertarians are the beginning of the end for Republicans? Don't be, says NRO's Jonah Goldberg:
As conservatism blossomed in the 1980s under Ronald Reagan, some conservatives jumped ship, unwilling to accept the compromises and responsibilities of power. The late "paleocon" Samuel Francis bemoaned the Reaganites as "hapless" sellouts. Others among his confreres banged their spoons on their highchairs because "neocons" got jobs in the administration they felt were rightly theirs. On foreign policy, realists, neoconservatives and traditional anti-Communists tussled in an endless mosh pit. . .

Personally, I dislike much of Bush's "compassionate conservatism." Indeed, I find it astounding that even as Bush has moved the Republican agenda leftward in many key respects, the left has screamed all the louder about how "right wing" he is. But simply because I think Bush is wrong about, say, Medicare, it doesn't mean I think it's a sign the conservative movement is falling apart. Lots of folks thought FDR's New Deal was a disaster at the time, and look how that turned out.
Sure, I oppose the Federalization of state law issues. And I don't support all of Bush's policies--few do. But I'm mindful of the 11th Commandment--"Thou shall not speak ill of a fellow Republican." And Democrats are far worse, repeatedly lobbing judicial "Hail Marys" to Federalize abortion, consensual sodomy and -- any day now -- gay marriage. Why should we disarm unilaterally?

So my bottom line is simple: I'll renounce further interference with states' rights the moment Democrats do the same.

No comments: