Sunday, January 22, 2006

Clearly, Free Speech Isn't Suspended

Harry Belafonte is at it again:
"We've come to this dark time in which the Gestapo of Homeland Security lurks here, where citizens are having their rights suspended," Belafonte told thousands of people at the annual meeting of the Arts Presenters Members Conference.

"You can be arrested and not charged, you can be arrested and have no right to counsel," said Belafonte. . .

Bush, he said, was a president "who has risen to power somewhat dubiously and ... then lies to the people of this nation, misleads them, misinstructs, and then sends off hundreds of thousands of our own boys and girls to a foreign land that has not aggressed against us."
Uh, Harry, no. See Hamdi v. Rumsfeld, 542 U.S. 507 (2004) ("He unquestionably has the right to access to counsel in connection with the proceedings on remand.").

(via And That is My Opinion)

4 comments:

TexasFred said...

I truly appreciate you linking to me on this, I am totally pissed off at these people and my challenge stands, all they have to do is PROVE ME WRONG and I will go away...

Like that's gonna happen... You can't PROVE a lie...

Keep hammaring, this is a great blog, I am impressed..

Fred

TexasFred said...

BTW, I am linking you in the side bar of my blog, if you wish to get on the Blog Roll, let me know...

Van Helsing said...

Day-O thinks Iraq hadn't aggressed against us? Saddam tried to assassinate Bush 41. That alone sounds pretty aggressive to me.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

Chill, guys. We want Harry Belafonte to keep talking. And talking. We should start the rumor that he's going to speak at the 2008 Democratic Convention.