Thursday, December 01, 2005

World's Longest Personal Ad

Somewhere in nearby Northern Virginia, this 36 year old guy -- "5ft8, 160 pounds, shaved head, facial hair and a little ethnic looking" -- wants a wife:
I know my job and I own up to it, I learned the hard way - but I own up to it now. My job is to be decisive when you say "what do you want to do tonight?" My job is NOT to say, "I dunno, what do you want to do?" It is my job to say, "I would like to [verb here] to [insert place] and [activity here]. Yet, I must also know when you have your own idea and actually want me to say, "I don't know, what about you?" How should I know? That's my job as a man. I must know. I do know.

My job is to pay for dinner even if you say you want to pay half. My job is to be ambitious in my career and make enough money that if we live together and your career takes a turn for the worse - I would have the money to afford to keep you fed and healthy AND sexy (we will talk about you being sexy below).

My job is [to] make you feel safe with me. If I have to act like a psycho killer once in a while when someone is being threatening around you and endangering your well being, even if it means I might end up in jail for the night (when I break his arm and jaw for trying to rape you), I do it. Yet I need to know when to be cool and aloof most of the time when you are just engaged in friendly flirting. I have to NOT feel threatened when guys stare at you, not be jealous when they flirt, not be insecure when you flirt back, just relax and enjoy your happiness. Ok? I figured it out. I know. I am not jealous by nature so this job is easy. But the moment a guy mistakes one of your signals (which happens because you don't quite realize all the signals you give off) and starts trying to do something to you against your will, I need to be ready to be incarcerated after I make him sorry. That's fine. . .

Now you: There are many jobs for you. Your first and last job are the same. The rest of the list is important too, but they don't work if you don’t do your first job first. Your first job is to be sexy in the way that you can be. It is your job to discover your own natural sexiness, manifest it, AND your job to figure out what I think is sexy. How do you normally attract men? If you think it is by wearing your thong above your jeans so that everyone can see it - then you are a moron. If you think it is getting wasted at some club and making out with your best girl-friend while guys cheer - you are an idiot. I have met you already, you bore me. I think you need to pull your pants up, drink less, bathe more and try to be more original than the Girls Gone Wild video that your former boyfriends got boners watching. . .

Your other jobs are very important as well. It is your job to nurture. If I am down and not feeling so great, you need to be building me back up. You need to be reading self-help books once in a while and see to it that we are both emotionally balanced. You need to make sure that we both communicate what is bothering us and all that stuff that you women want us to talk about in relationships. I need that. Do your job, I respect it. And when I am not feeling like such a man, you need to find it in yourself, even if you have to fake it, to build me right back into the alpha male that I should be.
There's much, much more. Act now, ladies, before Beth claims him.

More:

The post has been "removed by the craiglist community"--commutarian-speak for "censored." However, the same personal appeared on Craigslist in March (and still is available), suggesting the ad's a spoof.

(via My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy)

4 comments:

Cabe said...

Nice to know a man who knows a womans role. I just assume they don't.

Assistant Village Idiot said...

I detect a note of bitterness here...

@nooil4pacifists said...

Nah--the bitterness is only that someone else won Beth's heart before I had a chance.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if the first post came through, but I am good friends with the guy who wrote this. He has written many more ads on CL, most of them are on his website:

http://www.bigsuperwinner.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=39&Itemid=62