Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Old vs. New Media

As a telecom lawyer, practicing on the periphery of media and copyright law, I've seen many companies seek a competitive advantage through the regulatory process. Actually, that's not quite complete: I've assisted some such companies, though more often have been on the pro-competitive side. So I was interested in the BatesLine blog's tale of being targeted by the Tulsa World newspaper, highlighted by the Professor yesterday. I even thought about writing about it.

Well no need, because Gary at RightPundit already published a righteous post with analysis and links. For bloggers, I concur with the advice offered by Kimberlee Weatherall and Eugene Volokh, the most important part of which is: to preserve the Copyright Law's "fair use" defense (17 U.S.C. § 107), never cut-and-paste an entire article.

So click over to Gary, who cautions, "When taking on the guys with all the money, you must make sure you stay well within the lines."

More:

Looks as if Doug Petch ran into similar trouble, this time from Roll Call.

1 comment:

Doug said...

While I appreciate the publicity, it was actually The Daily Kos that ran into trouble with Roll Call. My post merely highlighted that fact and questioned Markos' response to their demand.