Friday, April 09, 2004

Iraq as Vietnam

Yes, I should write an essay demonstrating Senator Rum-blossom's wrong (as usual) to compare Iraq to Vietnam. But why bother, when I can quote the remarkable writer James Lileks:
I am struck once again by the incomparable hold VIETNAM has over some people. They don't seem to realize how the use of this inapt example demonstrates their inability to grasp the nature of new and different conflicts. When I was in college, El Salvador was Vietnam. When I was in Washington, Kuwait was Vietnam. Afghanistan was briefly Vietnam when we hadn't won the war after a week. It's Warholian: in the future, all conflicts will be Vietnam for 15 minutes.
Just a reminder for the dense: because of America, the good guys won in El Salvador, Nicaragua, Kuwait, Korea, the now-vanished Soviet Union, etc.

Too bad we lost France. But it probably wasn't worth winning.

No comments: